Richmond Road Entrance



The hill is named for Judge William Emerson--oldest brother of Ralph Waldo Emerson--who lived with his wife, Susan, and children William, Haven and Charles in a long brown shingle house known as The Snuggery. Willie and Haven were tutored in 1843 by Henry David Thoreau, who lived with the Emersons from May through October. It was the only time in his adult life that Thoreau lived anywhere but Concord, Massachusetts. (Canby, Henry Seidel: "Thoreau" 1939 Houghton Mifflin, pages 143-148)



Modify Website

© 2000 - 2011 powered by
www.doteasy.com